Introduction to this document

Flow chart - appointing someone to help with your tax affairs

If you need help with your tax affairs you can ask an accountant, tax advisor, friend or family member to do so on a short or long-term basis. However, HMRC is notorious for insisting that the formalities are followed to the letter.

Flow chart

The Flow Chart - Appointing Someone to Help with Your Tax Affairs will help you decide what procedure you need to following depending on the type of assistance you need.

For more information about appointing a accountant or tax advisor to help you, refer to

For more information about registering as a trusted helper, visit